George Washington Carver High School (Carver) was established in 1926 as a segregated school for African Americans in the Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area. Established by the Phoenix Union High School District, it was originally named the Phoenix Union Colored High School. However the name was changed to George Washington Carver High School in 1943, the same year as Mr. Carver’s death. Carver was established to provide a secondary education for African Americans who were barred from attending school with Caucasians. The school was established under the separate but equal doctrine which posited that Blacks’ constitutional rights were not violated by being allowed to use facilities, schools, etc, so long as they were accorded access to separate but equal facilities.