Pequotsepos Manor, the 1717 historic house museum, is a Mystic historical icon. It is located only 5 minutes from downtown Mystic, yet it is surrounded by 160 acres of woods and meadows on the original land granted to Captain George Denison in 1654 for his service to the militia.
J. Frederick Kelly, noted New England Colonial Revival architect, restored the house as a museum in 1946. In 1979 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Colonial Kitchen: This room is interpreted as a working kitchen in the 1740’s. Lucy Gallup Denison, her daughters and probably an indentured servant spent most of their time cooking in the huge 12 foot fireplace, spinning, churning butter, making candles, grinding corn etc. Attached is the Borning Room, now displaying weaving equipment.
Revolutionary War Bedroom:This chamber includes a 1750 Maple four poster bed, unusual trundle bed and 2 tiger maple Queen Anne flat top highboys made in Stonington c. 1760. Four Denison brothers fought in this war for American independence. 14 year old Elisah was the cabin boy on a Stonington privateer, when it was captured off Long Island. He died aboard the British Prison Ship, Jersey, and is buried in The Denison Cemetery on Route One
Federal Parlor:The Denisons’ fortunes continued to prosper throughout most of the 1830’s. The furnishings include handsome gilded mirrors, fine furniture and china brought to Mystic by local sea captains on Mystic built ships.
Victorian Chamber:The 1860 Mahogany sleigh bed with scrolled head and foot boards is a focal point. Family paying guests from NY City stayed here during hot summer months to help keep the Homestead in the family due to an economic recession.
Aunt Annie’s Parlor: This room is arranged exactly as it was in 1930 when Ann Denison Gates arranged for the house and land to become a museum.