The Calhoun County Museum and Cultural Center, originally a 5,000 sq. ft. pecan plant, was purchased by Calhoun County in 1976. Since then, the building has been expanded to 20,000 sq. ft. Calhoun County, established in 1908, is composed of various parts of Orangeburg and Lexington Counties.
The first land grant in this section (present day Calhoun County) was given to George Sterling in 1704. By 1735, German Swiss settlers began to arrive and settle in this area. Thus, our museum houses many early family documents of settlers from various areas, such as Amelia Township and both Orangeburg and Lexington Districts. However, family research is done by appointment only.
The museum holds special arts, history and educational programs. The Media Center shows videos of Calhoun County, past and present, as well as other educational programs.