Built in 1904, and still the largest building in downtown Cedar Vale, the L. C. Adam
Mercantile Building located at 618 Cedar Street was the center of commerce in Cedar Vale for a half century. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic places in April of 2007. Nominated for its commercial architecture that reflects the transition between the Victorian era of the late 19th century and the more restrained Revival styles of the early 20th century. The building retains a high degree of its architectural integrity and is a significant reflection of an important era in Cedar Vale history.