William Trent built his country estate north of Philadelphia, in New Jersey, at the Falls of the Delaware River about 1719. It was a large, imposing brick structure, built in the newest fashion. An "allee" of English cherry trees led from the entrance down to the ferry landing. Nearby, there were numerous outbuildings as well as grist, saw and fulling mills along the Assunpink Creek. In 1720 Trent laid out a settlement, which he incorporated and named "Trenton."
A number of different people have resided in the Trent House during its long history. After Trent died, his son James sold "300 acres plus the brick dwelling house" to William Morris of Barbados who was the half-brother of his father's second wife, Mary Coddington Trent.